The Bell

The Student News Site of Liberty High School Academy for Newcomers

The Bell

The Bell

Exploration
Exploration
June 9, 2024
Sunrise, Sunset
Sunrise, Sunset
June 9, 2024

Friendship Isn’t Always Easy

On April 16th, 2024, in New York City, students and family members were interviewed about their opinions on friendships.

You know, friendship isn’t always a walk in the park. It requires effort, understanding, and compromise, but that’s what makes it real and meaningful. It’s about working through those challenges, learning from each other, and growing together. Having effortless and smooth friendships can be such a wonderful experience. When you have a strong connection with someone, it can feel like you’re on the same wavelength and everything just flows naturally. It’s amazing when you can be yourself around your friends and enjoy each other’s company without any complications. But, this connection is not always a pleasure, doubts and suspicions may be kept deep within.

Oumou, the sister of one of the writers, Bintou Toure, says that, “I feel supported in my  friendship through shared interest.  We have common hobbies and activities that we enjoy doing together, which strengthens our bond.” But, she also answers the question: Do you think our friendship will last forever, if not why?  She says, “It’s hard to say for sure. Friendships can change over time and people can drift apart due to various reasons. However, if both friends are willing to invest time and effort into the friendship, there’s a good chance it can last a lifetime.”

“Friendship is such an important part of my life. It’s all about having someone you can trust, rely on, and have fun with,” says Deassa’s mother. “My best friend has always been there for me since we met. We don’t hide anything from each other, and when something happens, we try to help as best we can. That’s what allows me today to consider her a sister.  It takes effort, understanding, and communication to navigate through those challenges and maintain a strong bond,” says Deassa’s mother.

Few people will regret a friendship and Mame Marieme Ka, a student of Liberty High School, confirms that by saying, “I don’t regret my friendships because my friends really take the time to understand my feelings, thoughts, and experiences. They offer advice and give me a different perspective on things. Of course, there may be times when we make mistakes or have to navigate sensitive situations, but open and honest communication is key. I’ve definitely been in a situation where I’ve lied to a friend.  One time my friend asked me if I liked a gift they gave me, but honestly, it wasn’t really my style. I didn’t want to hurt their feelings, so I told a little lie and said I loved it. I didn’t want to make them feel bad or ruin the moment.”

Friendship is not always easy. There may be difficulties in friendships, but knowing that someone is there for you can make it all worth it.