The Bell

The Student News Site of Liberty High School Academy for Newcomers

The Bell

The Bell

See the World
February 26, 2024
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
December 14, 2023

Dear Liberty… Fall 2023

Dear Liberty,

How can I set my priorities? I want to find an effective way to balance my life. I want to get the right balance between working after school and my school time. I want to learn how to make hard decisions. I want to keep up with both work and school at the same time.

Sincerely,

Priorities

Dear Priorities,

I think that before making difficult decisions we must learn to take time for ourselves and concentrate on what we want to achieve. For example, working two days during the school week and on the weekends will allow you to focus on both getting a good education and being able to support yourself financially.  Hard decisions will always be difficult to make, but doing your best will put you in a position to succeed.

Sincerely,
Liberty

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Liberty,

The problem that I have is I want to support my friend in her depression. I feel she hides all her pain behind her smile. Every time she says “it’s okay,” I can see that she is not okay.  I have tried many approaches to try to cheer her up, but I have not been successful.  What do I do?

Sincerely,

Support

Dear Support,

This is an incredibly difficult position to be in.  I think being a great friend to her is listening and reassuring her that you will always be there for her.  Perhaps, take her to her favorite place or restaurant to enjoy time together, create an atmosphere of warmth, and maybe she will open up more.

Sincerely,

Liberty

Dear Liberty,

This is a story from a friend.

My concern is that I’m hungry all the time. I’m always eating and chewing as if it was my last day on earth. During class, people always ask me if I have bacteria, a parasite inside my belly, or a little monster who’s screaming all the time for sugar and candies. Professor is calling my attention but it is not my fault. I have something inside of me who wants to eat!!!! Please help my friend!!!

Sincerely,

The Eating Thing

Dear Eating Thing,

If the problem is something that you cannot control, maybe you need to go to a doctor because they could give you medical advice.  If it is something you can control, I recommend eating bigger meals, especially during lunch, so that your stomach does not interrupt you or the professor during class.  If neither solution work, hopefully the little monsters don’t come for all of us!

Sincerely,

Liberty

Dear Liberty,

I am worried about not passing my classes and regents exams.  If I do not pass, I will not be able to graduate.  I receive tutoring both during and after school, but I am still worried. ☹

Sincerely,

Worried

Dear Worried,

Advice I have for you is to keep studying hard and continue receiving tutoring and extra help after school. You are probably saying: “How can I do all of this?” Believe in yourself, use 100% of your capacity, and think positively.

Sincerely,

Liberty