The Bell

The Student News Site of Liberty High School Academy for Newcomers

The Bell

The Bell

See the World
February 26, 2024
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
December 14, 2023

Passion for Kicks

People are passionate about sneakers. Sneakers are everywhere, but in New York City it is a fashion statement. Sneakers became super popular in the 1990’s due to the popularity of Michael Jordan and other celebrities with sneaker deals.

The sneaker game has been running rampant for quite some time, which include Jordans, Adidas, and Nike to name a few. Certain pairs have always been difficult to buy depending on the color and the model. The price tag on these sneakers and the scarcity of them have even led to violence, bullying and deaths. However, in recent years we have seen a trend for the better as it has become easier to attain these highly demanded sneakers. This is good for everyone, as more people are able to buy these sneakers and hopefully the prices will also go down, making them more affordable.

Mr. Munoz, an advocate counselor at Liberty High school who is a sneaker collector, spoke to me about how the sneaker scene has changed in recent years.  He reported that “The sneaker game is so different than it was 10 years ago. When I was in high school sneakers were so limited. It was like seeing a trophy or it was like a status symbol. As a teenager it was difficult to get any sneakers because the supply and demand was outrageous. Retro Jordans would cost you well over $400. Now you can go to stores and sneakers are sitting on shelves.”

Clearly, sneakers have been a passion for people for quite some time, more than just a hobby, it is a lifestyle. According to my friend, Miguel Echenique, when asked why he spends so much money on sneakers, he replied, “I have a collection of about 22 pairs of sneakers. Sneakers are not just based on money, it is a passion, it’s a lifestyle.” Similar to Mr. Munoz’s comment, Miguel added that “Sneakers are not as limited as they once were which is lowering the resale value, which makes it harder for resellers to make huge profit and increase their price.”

My father who considers himself to be a “sneakerhead” explained to me how the sneaker game has changed.  He said “In 2005, a pair of Jordans were a whole risk, because  people waited outside of the store to steal your shoes, the prices were very high, not everybody could afford a pair of Jordans. Now it is easier to get a pair since they have made it more accessible.”

Passion for sneakers does not look like it will die anytime soon. Sneakerheads have it easier now, more than ever, to get their favorite pairs of shoes because of cheaper resell prices and not having to walk with fear of getting robbed of their brand new Jordans. Changes will always happen in the sneaker game, but the hype remains the same.