The Bell

The Student News Site of Liberty High School Academy for Newcomers

The Bell

The Bell

See the World
February 26, 2024
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
December 14, 2023

The Influence of Students’ Clothing

The Influence of Students Clothing

In 2023, the way you dress defines many things and is a very important topic for the students at Liberty High School. Young students demonstrate different ways of expressing themselves and one of them is through their clothing. Students have expressed that they feel much better about themselves by wearing clothes they like.

On the subject, Nahomy, a student, expressed that: “The way we look at ourselves and the time we dedicate to ourselves ends up having a lot of influence on how we see ourselves and even how we feel.”

It is important to consider the environment in which students operate, since school can become a place where they feel safe and calm, but can also make them feel insecure and uncomfortable. Dafne, a student, tells us based on her experience: “Feeling good about the way I dress helps me feel much more comfortable at school as well as having more confidence in myself.”

The way students dress also encompasses a cultural and even religious theme. For example, in Islamic culture, clothing should not attract the attention of the opposite sex, therefore, it should not be extravagant or opulent. And in Judaism, Jewish men must wear a fringed shawl to remind them of the covenant with God and women must wear modest clothing. Habiba is an adult belonging to the Muslim culture and tells us the following: “In my culture, the way you dress is very important because we believe that it is a religious duty to dress modestly.”