The Bell

The Student News Site of Liberty High School Academy for Newcomers

The Bell

The Bell

See the World
February 26, 2024
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
Dear Liberty... Fall 2023
December 14, 2023

Does Nationality Influence the Choice of Hairstyle or Haircut?

In 2023 in New York, there are a variety of haircuts and hairstyles. There is a large group of students who follow a trend, preferring the same haircut or style. This can be a form of self-expression or a cultural influence.

Particular hairstyles and haircuts have been used as a means of expressing cultural identity. We can observe this in communities such as people from the Dominican Republic who consider music as a fundamental part of their culture.  An example of this is Dembow. Michael, a student at Liberty High School, says the following: “In the Dominican Republic, music and fashion are very influential in the choice of haircuts and personally I follow the trend of the haircuts of the singers of my local music.”

However, there are other relevant factors which influence hairstyles and haircuts such as social networks. An example of this is Ecuadorians who show great interest in trendy hairstyles or haircuts. Lino, a young university student, explains: “Definitely in Ecuador, hairstyles and haircuts are influenced by special sports celebrities and famous people on social networks.”

Hairstyles and haircuts can be influenced by musicians, athletes, and celebrities, as is the case in Colombia. Ricardo, a worker in the customer service sector, states: “In Colombia, hairstyle trends usually follow the styles of local celebrities or celebrities on social networks, musicians and athletes. In my experience, Colombian culture greatly influences the choice of hairstyles and haircuts, such as the typical 7” cut.”

In addition to this, hair type is not the same in everyone and not all of us feel comfortable with the same hairstyle or haircut. There are hairstyles and haircuts that do not adapt or look the same on different people due to different hair types.